Re: Tools

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tools
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@avaya.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 17:12:41 -0500
Dan DiBiase wrote:

> I've been looking at tool sets lately, as I prepare to start serious
> disassembly on the project car. I'd like to buy a comprehensive set, as I
> have the usual mix-n-match junk for around the house... Here is the dumb
> question - do I need metric tools, non-metric or both??

As for socket types I would buy in this order:

1.  6 point shallow sockets
2.  6 point deep sockets
3.  12 point shallow sockets
4.  12 point deep sockets

in whatever sizes you purchase.  There are times when freeing a rusty
bolt where a 12 pt. socket will not work.  As for brands (and this is
like religion or text editors) I feel you will be fine if you buy
US made tools such as Craftsman, Husky, or SK.  I am sure there are
others
but for the home/hobby use they are fine, IMO.

Check the archives on the spridget (maybe mg) list for a discussion on
tools.  There was a guy who worked for a tool company and listed what
tools were made by who.

You will also need a decent floor jack and jack stands. Check out
the link at http://www.hyjacks.com for some info on jacks.  I feel
they are on the money about the quality of jacks.

Bill Gilroy

PS.  If you got the space and money an air compressor is a really
handy tool.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
wmgilroy.vcf]