Re: Wheel question

To: "SueCallaham" <wadleigh@syix.com>, "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel question
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:41:14 -0800
First, you need to ascertain whether the "spoke" wheels you possess are
bolt-on or center-lock. That is, are there 4 small lug holes distributed
around the center of each wire wheel, in the same exact pattern as on the
Rostyle wheels? Or is there merely one large central hole which on close
inspection is "splined" -- that is, has a continuous series of small
parallel ridges around the inner circumference?

If the former, just jack it up and swap the wheels. If the latter, you
need to replace all four hubs with the appropriate components. This may
also involve replacing the entire rear axle -- at least it does on an MGB
(I don't know about Midgets). Consult your Moss or VB catalog for a quick
cost estimate on the parts required.

Threads per inch refers to the pitch of the screw threads on the center
locking cap, and is not a relevant consideration vis a vis the wheels
themselves -- it is merely necessary to match the correct caps with the
correct hubs (which you do not have as yet). I don't think number of
spokes is an issue with Midget wheels, either, but if you are curious you
can always count them. Sometimes there is a higher-cost, heavy-duty,
wider optional wheel available that features a higher spoke count, but I
wouldn't think it worth worrying about, unless you have a V8. You can
look up wire wheels in one of the aforementioned catalogs to see what is
available for Midgets.

Also, be warned that "used" wire wheels might not be worth installing.
You didn't mention how you had acquired them.

IMHO...

SueCallaham had this to say:

--

Max Heim