Re: Engine number search

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>, MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine number search
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:33:45 -0800 (PST)
Rick, your car should 'originally' have been equipped with an 18GH engine,
as that is what they were using from October 1968 to August 1970. The
number would look like this (for a non-OD car) - 18GH-We-H/12345. If it
was a California car, iot would most likely have had an 18GJ-prefixed
motor. I would not assume linearity in terms of figuring out which engine
serial number should have been in your car.... I would go with the BMIHT
certificate. Even then, there could be confusion. The first certificate I
received for my 66 (built October 1964) showed it having a G-series 3-main
engine. According to Clasauger's Original MG, it should have the early
5-main, GB-series. After going back to BMIHT, they agreed but said the
records showed the G, so they reissued my certificate 'assuming' it should
have been a GB-series engine! So it goes, in the pre-computer days, I
guess!