The appraiser is talking totalling my B... Salvage title?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The appraiser is talking totalling my B... Salvage title?
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 19:24:26 -0700 (MST)
I was in a wreak last week, I mentioned it on the list.  I came over a
hill and found traffic stopped in front of me.  I braked, but there was
just not enough room.  I went under the back of a Tacoma.

My agreed value with Hagerty is $5000.  The appraiser said that if the
repair gets within 75% of that ($3500) then the car will be totalled.
I am at about $3300.  He said that is close enough to call it dead.  I
haven't heard from the insurance company yet however, but he is
probably right as he has experience in this and I do not.

If they total it and write me a check for $5000, I have heard that I
can buy the wreaked car back from them.  (Which I need to do because I
have some $ in it I want back.)   What should I expect to pay?  I paid
$500 for a parts car where I got the engine and tranny that are in it
today just a few months ago.  Will the title be a salvage title at that
point?  Can I get it reinsured if it is a salvage title?

I am pretty sure I can get the car back together again, but for $4000 I
can probably get a pretty nice B to replace it.  Especially since it is
winter time here now.

What does the heritage body shell go for?  Where can I get one?

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net