Re: The appraiser is talking totalling my B... Salvage title?

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Re: The appraiser is talking totalling my B... Salvage title?
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 12:05:34 -0800
Every state is a bit different regarding salvage titles. There has been
a lot of fraud in some areas with gangs stealing and stripping late
model cars and then buying the carcass at the auction and reassembling
them.

My state, WA, requires that when an insurance co. totals your car you
must send in the title and they issue a salvage title if you rebuild the
car.  They also require an inspection before they issue the title, but
that is primarily to be sure that no stolen parts were used in the
rebuild.

BTDT.  My elderly mother totaled her '86 Olds, we bought it back for 20%
of the market value, and had it repaired.  Re-insurance was no problem,
they insure the driver, not the vehicle, when it is that old. I might
add that the body shop that rebuilt it was able to do it for a
reasonable cost because for a private party they could use "recycled"
parts in the front suspension, something that insurance cos. won't
allow.

I don't think anyone is importing the Heritage shells anymore, so look
for another B!

Stuart