Re: Engine swap and measurements

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Engine swap and measurements
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:21:34 -0600
At 03:47 PM 12/11/2000 -0800, Dan DiBiase wrote:

>--- Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com> wrote:
>> 1958 MGA with an attitude (and "18" cylinder head)
>
>Barney, good news! If by '18' above you mean the cylinder head from a 1.8
B engine, check this out - you could be sitting on a gold mine! (Of course,
this one is a year older than yours....)....<VBG>

>http://classifieds.excite.com/cgi-cls/ad.exe?P61+C14+A72+R508446594+Q551592
119

I make no pretense about it being valuable.  My first "18" head was
procured as a means of economic self preservation when I needed a head but
couldn't afford the proper "15" head.  The larger valves and ports are
nice, but the "18" head needs to be shaved about .047" to get the chamber
volume down to 38cc for the 1500/1600 engines.

I see the car in the ad has the "18" head on a 1622 engine.  The "18" head
is actually very close in configuration to the "16" head that was
originally used on the 1622 engine, so it would probably work quite well
there in stock form.  Otherwise not exactly concours I presume, being as
there were no MGA 1600's built in 1957.  I think the asking price is a bit
high, even if it was an otherwise perfect car.  Wrong title, wrong engine,
wrong head.  Well, maybe the 1622 engine would be right if the title was
corrected, but then the grille would be wrong.  Y'know, I have a die cast
model MGA with about the same strange arrangement of parts.  Maybe it's
really a model of one of those rare and valuable 1957 MGA 1600's.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg