RE: Fuel Pump Questions

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump Questions
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:44:20 -0600
Thank you to everyone that responded.  Last night I looked closer at the
pump and found I do have an electronic pump installed.  I pulled the pump
out of the trunk and had it hanging under the car.  There are in fact only 2
wires to the pump.  The wire I thought came out of the pump and went back
into the pump actually went alongside the pump and out under the car.  This
wire was the ground wire.  I thought it must go to the inertia switch, since
I was reading a resistance of about 7 or more ohms on that wire.  I also
found the inertia switch under the dash, as a number of people told me.  The
switch measured closed, so that isn't the problem.  I decided to put the
wire leading from the pump directly to ground and see what happens, it
started pumping.  Great the pump isn't bad, however, I forgot that I had
loosened the output hose from the pump while under the car.  Yup, gas
running everywhere, toward my hot drop light, over my wrenches, etc.  I
scrambled to find a tub to catch the gas, moved the light, moved the tools,
then went to look at the schematic.  Trying to figure why I had lost my
ground.  Looking at the schematic it shows the fuel pump grounding to the
same point that the tail lights ground at.  The light bulb comes on!!!  In
getting ready to paint the car I removed the license plate holder, including
all those black wires behind one of the screws.  Went and found all those
black wires, connected them to a new ground, and you guessed it, the car
started right up.  Fuel pump clicking along just like nothing had ever
happened.  I should have realized that if you remove one black wire from
ground in a LBC, 10 things are not going to work properly.  Anyway, back to
the final sanding, hoping to paint Wednesday or Thursday.

Again, thank you everyone that responded and helped with this weeks crisis.

Ken Waringa