Re: Spot weld drills

To: niederst@telerama.com
Subject: Re: Spot weld drills
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:09:42 -0600
I bought a version of the replaceable head cutter at the local auto body
shop supply/paint store for about $6.  Unfortunately, it did not come
with a warning that it should have...  for use only at slower RPM's.  I
dulled the thing right out the first couple of times I used it.  Later I
saw it in the Eastwood catalog, which says (by memory) to use it at
speeds under 700 rpm.

Depending upon how many spot welds you've got to cut, I would suggest the
solid drill bit style.  It will last longer and you don't have to worry
about RPM's, particularly if you don't own a variable speed drill.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 02:23:52 -0500 "Craig D. Niederst"
<niederst@telerama.com> writes:
> I have seen several references here before about the spotweld
> drills/cutters
> that Eastwood sells. I see they have two varieties, and also two
> sizes of
> each variety. The first one is a solid drill bit that they call
> "professional grade," and is the more expensive of the 2. The second
> is a
> cutter with replaceable heads. Both come in 3/8 and 1/2 inch sizes.
> I will
> be using this item to remove the spot welds in my B's floors. The
> prices are
> similar for the 3/8 inch units ($15 for the cutter, $20 for the
> drill), so
> whats the consensus on which works best? From my perspective, the
> drill
> appears to remove more of the weld from the "bottom" panel than the
> cutter,
> so it appears to require less grinding which is a good thing. Are
> the 3/8
> inch size OK for this purpose, or do I need a 1/2 inch one (seems a
> bit big
> to me, but their description mentions that the bigger 1/2 inch size
> is
> needed for trucks and convertibles)? Does anyone else but Eastwood
> sell
> these items? I have checked my local home improvement type places
> and Sears,
> but have seen nothing similar. Thanks.
>
> Craig
> '71 B