Re: In A Quest For Heat

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: In A Quest For Heat
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:11:48 -0000
Larry,

> However, the heater control valve seems to only pass a miniscule flow.

Prob all gunked up.. The easiest way to remove that absolutely b****** of a
bolt is to remove the cylinder head! <G> I always refit it a new gasket, goo
& valve (if nec.) before refitting the head when it's off for whatever
reason. Then I try to not go near it again!! It is almost impossible to get
enough leverage in there to tighten it to stop it leaking while the head is
still attached to the block, BUT you can do it, use a heap of permatex would
be my advice. It is IMHO the single most annoying task on an MGA engine!!
<G> Well that and the front sump bolts! You can also modify the valve to
allow for more flow, look on the MG BBS MGA Archives (www.mgcars.org.uk), I
modified mine and it made a big difference. The blasted things don't open up
fully as standard.

> Another niggling lil question....the control valve is really
> regulating the "return" of the coolant to the block, i.e., it is

AFAIK it is the source. If the control valve is closed, no heat..

Cheers,
Neil