Re: Axle rebuild

To: larry@larryembrey.com
Subject: Re: Axle rebuild
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:33:09 EST
In a message dated 12/12/00 4:46:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
larry@larryembrey.com writes:

> 3.  Brakes, how often do you folks rebuild your brake cylanders or do you
> just buy new cylanders/calipers?  I am interested in rebuilding things
> rather than buy new, I got the car to work on not just buy new parts for

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Welcome to the list!  How can you lurk for a year and keep your mouth shut?!?
 :-)

I don't have a lot of suspension experience (yet!) but I have rebuilt brakes.
 Basically, a caliper needs a rebuild if it leaks or if it freezes.  If you
just bought the car and the brake system is questionable, rebuild the
calipers.  Rear brake cylinders are usually rebuildable, but they are so
inexpensive that I recommend just replacing them.

The brake master cylinder is tricky to rebuild but not impossible.  If you
have some experience, go fo it.  If you are just learning about mechanical
stuff, you may want to send it out to White Post Restorations and have it
professionally sleeved and rebuilt.  It is a bit of an expense, but you will
never have another problem with it.  Calipers are much easier to rebuild.

Don't forget new springs and hardware for the rear brakes, and new rotors are
probably not very expensive either.  If the brake lines are rusty as mine
were when I got my car, replace them.  Full sets are available and that is
also an easy job.  I also suggest you get new, braided, flexible brake hoses.

Lastly, use good quality, not DOT 3, brake fluid. I like Castrol GT LMA, and
I have heard good things about Valvoline's new synthetic brake fluid.  For
high performance use, which seems to be the direction you are going, I would
not recommend silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid.

Do all of this and you will have a lot of fun, and good brakes.

Good luck,

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget