Re: Axle rebuild-V-8 conversions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Axle rebuild-V-8 conversions
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:00:06 -0600
Bill is definitely correct in that a V6 is ideal for these cars.

A number of years ago I put a '85 Camaro 2.8 V6 (145 bhp) into my MGA
coupe and it worked EXCELLENT. I used the automatic-OD because that is
what the donor car had. Subsequently, I converted to the 5-speed. Both
versions are nice - although my personal preference was for the manual
gearbox, my wife really liked the automatic. She actually drove the
car!!

I used a 3.9 MGB tubed axle in the car, mostly because I had a spare
one, but I also ran it for a while with the 4.3 MGA banjo axle. Both
worked fine, although the 4.3 gears were too short for the engine/tranny
- the 3.9 was very good.

This coupe is now back to its original 1500 MG engine (for various
reasons), but it was fun at the time.

Dave Q.
As and Bs