Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side

To: "David Pennington" <racerx23@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side
From: Dwbradbury@ra.rockwell.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:38:09 -0600
I am new to this list, but I have been on the triumphs list for some time.
Interestingly, I just read an explanation that may address this area.
(unfortunately, I deleted the original e-mail but saved that text to a
column I edit for our British Cars of NH (USA) newsletter.
'67 TR4A, '72 XJ6 & '74 MGB
Dave

ps Credit given below:

"What  causes  the  knockoff  to  tighten  instead  of  loosen  is the same
principle that allows a train to go around a curve.
 Picture in your mind a cross section of railroad track, and the wheel on a
train  car.  (Remember,  the wheels on a train are part of the axle.... the
'inside' wheel turns at the same rate as the 'outside' wheel). Thus, when a
train  car goes around a curve the inside wheel is turning the same rate as
the   outside   wheel.   Which   means(!!),  one  of  the  wheels  must  be
sliding/skidding  on  the track because you have a different radius for the
inside  track  and  the  outside  track. SO, how does the train go around a
curve?
 The  top  of the track is curved and the wheel surface is slightly slanted
(larger  diameter  on  the  inside of the wheel and smaller diameter on the
outside  of  the wheel). As the train goes into a (for example) left curve,
centrifugal  force  pushes the train axle(and wheels) to the outside of the
curve.  The outside of the "left wheel" is in contact with the "lower" edge
of  the  track  and  the inside of the "right wheel" is in contact with the
"center"  edge  of  the  track.  This  results  in a slight increase in the
mathematical  radius  of  the inside wheel and decrease in the mathematical
radius  of  the  outside  wheel, which makes the radius for inner and outer
wheels  nearly  the  same,  which allows BOTH wheels to "roll" on the track
rather than slide.
 If  your  still with me, if you haven't fallen asleep and your eyes glazed
over  (!!!!!),  the  same basic thing is happening between the knockoff and
the  "knockoff mating surface" of the wheel. They are both slightly curved,
thus  as  the  axle rotates with the knockoff on the axle and tight against
the mating surface on the wheel, there is just enough difference in radius'
to effectively be constantly tightening the knockoff.
 DON'T EVER REVERSE THEM!! (Left on right and right on left)!"
Edward
fogbro1@home.com

"David Pennington" <racerx23@earthlink.net>@autox.team.net on 12/29/2000
12:58:08 PM