Re: Engine Dies - V8

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Dies - V8
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:13:58 -0600
At 02:23 PM 1/2/2001 -0000, Neil Cotty wrote:
>Made it back from England/Scotland with the new '74 BGT V8, ....

Now there's a man of conviction.  He said he would, and he did.
Congratulations Neil.

>.... the car started to splutter, then died. I couldn't get any power to
the starter at all, ignition light on. .... died on me twice, started to
misfire, then died, again no power to the starter. ....

Intermitent engine ground can cause that.  Starts fine once, and then gives
problems when the gengine ground goes away.

>.... drove her for three hours again, at night, and the same problem
reoccured, misfiring, then cutting out but always crawling around town, no
probs on the freeway. ....

High resistance in the ignition circuit (which includes the engine ground)
can cause bad spark and misfire.

>.... I am wondering if it could be the coil (lucas sport) but it is
staying bone cold.

Coil going bad will cause the misfire and die symptoms when it gets hot,
and may be good enough to start and ren pretty well after cooling off.  But
a bad coil has nothing to do with the starter not working.

>.... I also considered the ground strap but the lights all work fine etc
etc. Could it be that the ground is not good enough for the ignition but ok
for the lights etc? ....

Lighta are all grounded on the body, and body has the ground return
connection at the battery.  If all of that is okay the lights will work
fine.  At the same time, if there is a bad ground between the engine and
the body, then the engine can have starting problems, andalso ignition
problems, and the lights keep on working.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg