Re: Horst Schach's book

To: MGTD1952@cs.com
Subject: Re: Horst Schach's book
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:33:44 -0800
Ben, et. al.

FWIW:

I would be cautious about relying heavily on this book.  There are
numerous errors especially in regards to the upholstery fitting.  I
found his book disappointing as it didn't seem to cover any new ground
not given in the following books or what common sense would dictate.

I have restored two TD's and am working on a third.

First off, make COPIOUS notes  and pictures of what you have, or what
things look like.  These are your best pieces of information!

For the mechanical aspects, I would rely mostly on the shop manual,
the factory parts book, and MG'T" registers manual.

For the visual points, I would use the Clausager's book "Original T
Series MG", Malcom Greene's book, and any other book with period
photographs of the car.  These books will tell you a lot about
production changes, component colors, body and upholstery
combinations, etc.

AND FINALLY:

If Ben has any doubt as to how something should be or be done, he
should subscribe to the list and ask.  There are a lot of people on
this list with a better background than the information supplied in
Horst's book,
FWIW

Blake