Rewebbing Seat Belts/Cleaning and Polishing Aluminum Parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rewebbing Seat Belts/Cleaning and Polishing Aluminum Parts
From: "William T Snyder, II" <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:18:22 -0500
My son and I are in the process of restoring a 72 BGT and could use some
of the list's expertise.
1. Has anyone had experience rewebbing inertia seat belt reels? If so,
specifically, how do you release the belt at its attachment to the axle
of the reel? If this can't be done, can you cut off the belt near its
terminus and sew a new piece of belt to the stub? Any advice appreciated.
2. The aluminum trim parts, particularly the gutter drip guards and trim
around the rear windows is dull with a whiteish cast. Are there any
tricks to restoring the shiny finish? Steel wool does not seem to help as
it does with chrome parts.
3. This car is fitted with an aftermarket fuel pump mounted at the
original pump site. It is TERRIBLY LOUD. I know that the original SU pump
is probably the best alternative, but are there any quiet and less
expensive alternatives?
Thanks in advance!
Bill Snyder
Waynesville, NC