Re: Off-Topic: Copyright Reminder (related to Barney's DIY

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Off-Topic: Copyright Reminder (related to Barney's DIY
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:29:04 -0600
At 09:10 PM 1/8/2001 -0500, Kai M. Radicke wrote:
>Content (including text, images, scripts, etc.) found on other websites
does not give you the right to use them for your own use (websites, email,
photo albums, etc.).  Someone created these, and it is that someone who
holds the copyright and therefore must be contacted for permission to use
the material.

Hey, how did my name get into this?  By intention, I do not have a
copyright note anywhere on my web site.

Just to clarify copyrights, as best as I can from a laymen's view, I
believe existing law in the USA recognizes that published material is "born
copyrighted", meaning that for legal purposes it is automatically
copyrighted even though it may not be noted as such.  Also a copyright is a
civil matter, not a criminal law, so if someone were to infringe on your
copyright you have to enforce it yourself, not just call a cop.  You do
this by first notifying the offending party of their offense and asking
them to cease and desist.  If that doesn't work you may have to bring suit
in civil court to prove your case and get a court order for cease and
desist.  If that doesn't do it then the offending party can be jailed or
filed for contempt of court, and you may also be able to collect
renumeration in cash or like for copyright infringement.  If the
infringement is blatant you may be able to collect with your first court
presentation.

I think that is about all I know about the legalities of copyrights, and I
hope I never need to learn any more.  For all I care, anything I post on my
web site is fair game for redistribution, as I would be happy to educate
the world for no compensation.  It would be nice at least if any person
reproducing such informatin would make note of where it came from, so that
it doesn't get picked up erringly for free distribution in the future.
Also since I have no intention of charging anyone for such information, I
would appreciate it if no one else would use it for profit making
commercial purpose.  I would hate having to sue someone in civil court just
to keep it all free to the public.

Thank you for your time,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude