Re: Dumb Carb Question

To: frank krajewski <frankk@intap.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dumb Carb Question
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:28:15 -0700
I wish there was a good reference manual. The lack of said manual is
perhaps one of the biggest drawbacks to the Zenith Stromberg carbs. The
Haynes manual is no longer in print - it has been consolidated into a
general carb manual covering Webers, SUs, and Strombergs.

The hot water choke itself comes in several varieties with minimal
documentation on the inner workings. There is also a manual version of the
Stromberg 175CD - it is slightly different however from my experience.
Throttle shafts are different diameters, linkage is different. My
experience, however, is with the dual 175 CD carbs as used on the TR7.

Personally, I would convert to SUs which is what I am doing on the TR7. I
can't get the idle under control and documentation is poor on the
Strombergs. SUs are more basic and easier to work with. Between temperature
compensators, bypass diaphragms, auto choke devices - its too much trouble
to work with without sufficient descriptive manuals.

David