Rear Axle Revisit

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Axle Revisit
From: "Larry" <larry@larryembrey.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:50:28 -0800
Well, I finally got the time and energy to pull the disk wheel axle from my
parts car.  I built a little cradle for it so that it is 100% suspended off
ground etc while I work on it.

I popped the cover and was a bit surprised to find about a small glass worth
of oil in it!  This car sat for 4 years+ before I dragged it home.  The gears
of the diff look good, no signs of  chipping etc, so I think they are ok.  I
did find one worrisome issue though.

when I rotate the driver's side axle it binds very tight at one point.  If I
try to rotate the driveshaft plate only the passenger side rotates.  could it
be a bent axle?  Has anyone seen this before?  I will be trying to remove the
brake drums tomorrow or this weekend, but would like some advice if possible.
I REALLY don't want to spend $190 for a new axle, is just not worth it, might
as well buy a Ford 8".