Re: Gearbox Questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:40:00 -0800
on 1/21/01 4:49 PM, William T Snyder, II at wtsnyder@juno.com wrote:

> Hello list. In the process of tracing the problems with reverse lamps
> that do not function on my  non-OD '72 GT, I have become a bit puzzled.
> First, I cannot find a gear box dipstick/filler port. I located the
> rubber plug under the carpet behind the radio console on the top
> passenger side of the tranny tunnel, but could feel or see no dipstick or
> plug underneath. I jacked up the car and got underneath the passenger
> side and felt all along the top of the gearbox and still no luck. Am I
> mistaken that the later gearboxes had a dipstick as the earlier cars did?
> If not, where do you refill the gearbox after draining and how do you
> check the level?

At some point they abandoned the dipstick and went with a side filler plug.
My tranny is 1977 vintage and has the side fill. It is a hex-head plug about
halfway up the righthand side of the tranny case. You can see it from
straight underneath but it's a bit of a pain to reach. You check the level
by taking out the plug, lowering the car back to level, and seeing if
anything drains out (the EPA must love this procedure).

But I would think you would still have the dipstick in 72. Since the
dipstick is NA from Moss, maybe it's just missing. If you stick your finger
(or a medium screwdriver) into the hole in the tunnel, you would be able to
feel the dipstick hole (if it is there).

> Secondly, above the speedo angle drive on the passenger side again is a
> switch with two electrical contacts to which a green and green/brown
> wires are attached. I am assuming that this is the reverse switch(?). My
> catalogues and manuals show the reverse switch on the driver's side. Are
> their diagrams for RHD cars?

Since the transmission internals didn't change for lefthand drive, I don't
think the switch location could change (since it's operated by the shift
rod). But that puzzles me, too, since on my late OD transmission the OD
lockout switch is on the left side, and the reverse light switch is on the
right (it's not hooked up since I don't have any backup lights on my 66).
But the two switches look identical, so maybe it's a labeling error in the
drawings.

But is it possible that there is a neutral safety switch on the 72? It could
possibly be in this location, or the one below? I'd look it up in Clausager
if my cat would get off me...

> Above that switch, slightly farther forward on the passenger side of the
> housing to which the shift lever is attached is another switch(?) with 2
> contacts but no wires attached. Can anyone tell me its name or purpose?

Or maybe the DPO hooked up the wires to the wrong switch? Maybe THIS is the
reverse switch.

> Although all of the catalogues and manuals show diagrams of the D and LH
> type OD's, none show how or where they fit onto the rest of the gearbox.
> This may sound like a silly question to you pros on the list, but just
> where do they fit in or on the standard gearbox? If they lengthen the
> overall gearbox length, I assume a shorter drive shaft is also
> required(?).

The OD unit replaces the long rear section of the transmission housing, so
up to 68 the OD driveshaft was actually slighter longer. After that it was
the same length for all cars.

> Lastly, the bolt nearest the starter motor which attaches my gearbox to
> the engine is missing. How important to replace it and what size bolt?

I would replace it on principle. Just pull the one next to it for size.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149