RE: Cylinder Heads, Valve Train, and Exhaust Valves

To: "'John DiFede'" <JDIFEDE@cablevision.com>
Subject: RE: Cylinder Heads, Valve Train, and Exhaust Valves
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:49:16 -0800
John:

        The short tappet/long pushrod combination is about 1/8" shorter than
the long tappet/short pushrod combination.

        The rocker adjusters will take up this difference without any
problem.

        Your valve openning is not affected by the head thickness.  So long
as you can get the valve adjustment correct with the rocker adjusters.  (ok,
some subtle differences in geometry do come into play, but we are not going
there.  It's insignificant)

        As for the valve specs you found.  AE who made the original valves
for the engine lists the following.

62-68   Part #          Length
EX      V3571           4.328
IN        V3570           4.359

68-80    Note.  73 Intake valve is a different Part # (larger diam.)
EX      V34352           4.328
IN      V34401           4.359

        The only difference in the valve design is the cotter groove.  So no
worries there.  I think the printed data you have is erroneous, or shows the
type of tolerance drift that causes migrains.

        Put er back together and don't worry about it.  Converting to the
short tappet/long lifter set up is pretty much SOP now.

Kelvin.