Magic Motor Mount Tool, 77B

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Magic Motor Mount Tool, 77B
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:50:52 -0500
Had to share this one with you.  I finally got the engine reinstalled in my 77B
and was ready to face the battle of tightening up the motor mount nuts.  I'd
heard about cutting down a 9/16 wrench and machining the thickness of the open
end so that it can slip up into the motor mount and grab the nut.  Took a lot of
looking to find a non-Craftsman 9/16 wrench that I'd be willing to butcher, but
I found one.  Crawled under the car and slipped an ignition wrench up into the
space, just to get an idea of how thin the wrench must be.  Looked at the right
side mount (LHD) and got an idea.

     Last year I had Santa give me a set of wrenches from Sears (please, let's
not start up the Craftsman yes/no thread again).  They're called Gearwrenches
and are open at one end with a ratcheting box at the other end, 5 degrees per
click.  They have become my absolute favorite set of tools.  At any rate, the
box end of the 9/16 wrench fit perfectly up into the right hand side mount and
let me tighten it with no problem whatsoever.  I then noted that the wrench
wasn't all that thick, to the degree that the open end fit up into the left side
mount.  There was the usual tighten/flip the wrench/tighten/flip/tighten/flip...
but it fit beautifully and did the trick.  Now I can give Frank back his cherry
picker!

      Unfortunately, the wrenches don't have 'Craftsman' on them so the lifetime
warranty doesn't apply.  Also, I'm afraid they're only sold in sets.  And --- I
think they're being sold by other stores as well, not just by Sears.

--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/