Re: filler for MGA corner rails

To: Mark and kathy LaPierre <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Subject: Re: filler for MGA corner rails
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:09:27 -0600
   On my '70 B-GT, the head was damaged at the thermostat.  It looked
like someone had just started a bolt then bumped it into something as
a little divot of iron was missing.  Unfortunately it cracked into the
edge of the thermostat seat.  Read: leak potential.  I fixed it with J-B
weld but instead of tapping the epoxy, I threaded a bolt wrapped with
Teflon plumber's tape into the hole.  I packed the J-B weld in around
the bolt and let it cure.  Once set, the bolt unscrewed right out leaving
a threaded hole!  All I needed to do was true the top of the epoxy with
a flat file and the repair was complete!  A little paint hid the repair.

 http://www.geocities.com/btg80397/MGB-GT/ThermoststHousingDuringRepair.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/btg80397/MGB-GT/ThermostatHousingDamagedAtOutboardStud.jpg

...unfortunately, this second image was damaged in the upload but
there is enough of it there for you to see the "divot."

Best,

Rick