Re: Unloaded RPM

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Unloaded RPM
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:08:41 -0600
BobMGT@aol.com wrote:

> (Maybe a rule of thumb guideline here) Whenever I hear someone gunning a
> parked car it makes me cringe, but I don't know why.

   Bob, et al., the possibility of overrevving has been discussed and
that is certainly a possibility.  There is another situation that should
be included.  That is, if you are "blipping" the throttle, the air/fuel
mixture goes all over the map.  If you happen to be using a Weber
or similar carb that has an accelerator pump, you will make the
mixture over-rich with each blip.  That flood of raw fuel can wash
oil from the cylinders and increase wear.
   I don't blip the throttle in my cars ( okay, not too much ) but I
also don't worry about taking the engine to higher engine speeds
for measurements and the occasional aural  feast.
   Just my thoughts...
--
Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research