Re: canvas & top questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: canvas & top questions
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:49:46 -0700
This is normal for all tops, even the standard vinyl(?). It will stretch if
its warm enough but once it cools below maybe 60F, its hard to work with.
My Toyota Landcruiser top is such a problem putting on that I take it off
as soon as the topless weather arrives (usually sometime in June here in
Montana) and then leave it off all summer. Then I try to guess the last
sunny 80 degree day of the season, usually in early September, to put it
back on.

During those years I guessed wrong and waited too late, I park the car in
the garage, put the top on as best as I can, and then put a space heater in
inside to warm it up. After a few hours I can stretch it easy enough. This
should work even better for a LBC because the interior is much smaller.

Last summer, I bought a TR7 convertible which allowed me to extend the
topless season into October because I can easily lower and raise the top,
not like my Landcruiser with the huge frame assembly and top. I could raise
and lower it the same day if weather was in the 60s or higher. My son's
recently acquired 65B looks like it will work almost as well. So I'd still
prefer the soft top.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT