Re: The ideal advance curve (too long

To: ValveCurtain@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The ideal advance curve (too long
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:21:07 -0700
I pondered many of these questions when I rebuilt the 18V engine in my
71BGT about fifteen years ago. First, you can definitely tell from the
crown of the piston if its low compression - its got a significant dip (the
high 9:1 compression pistons also have a dip although slight).

The first thing I did was change to the 9:1 pistons plus I decided to make
a few other changes to bring the engine more to a late 60s spec including
dual timing chain. Then I tried to figure out the best advance curve and
even thought about changing the weights and some other modifications. A
local dynamometer shop claimed they could make changes for me. But as
confusing as all the curves were, I decided to stick more to the original
specs which meant acquiring the an older late 60s distributer from a junk yard.

So my advice is just to stick to the 18GH specs as you mentioned, getting
the parts for that engine including the distributer.

As far as timing, I always just time by the road - just adjust until it
drives best. I used to do it that way when I was too poor to afford a
timing light. After I bought one, I found it just didn't work as well as
the ear and the feel.

David

David Councill
65 B