RE: Front rides too low

To: "John Middlesworth" <top_down@worldnet.att.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front rides too low
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:22:41 -0700
>Since I'm new to the list I apologize if this counts as a FAQ.  I restored my
>'72 MGB about four years ago.  I replaced only the
rear springs at that time
>and since then it has sat noticably lower in front.

John, don't you mean it sits higher in the back?  It probably only *appears* to
sit lower in the front.  Putting rear springs on the
car is going to have minimal effect on the front of the car.  It should have
virtually no effect on the front ride height.  Ride
height is traditionally measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of
the bright strip.  Since this would be at the fulcrum
point, the height should not be changed by any modification in the rear of the
car.

So all your efforts changing the old stock front springs with new stock front
springs are going to do little to raise ride height.
You would only be compensating for the sag that may have occurred over the
years.  The half inch it went up is probably the typical
sag.

Regardless of the ride height, the bright strip along the side should sit
level.  Try this, park the car on a level surface and
measure from the ground to the bottom of the bright strip just above both the
front and rear axles.  This will tell you if it sits
high in the back or the front.

My personal opinion, lower is better than higher ... as long as you can get
over speed bumps.  My approach would be to lower the
back to match the front.

Good luck.  See below for spring informations supplied to this list by Moss
Motors.

Larry Hoy

Paul:

        The following are free lengths.  I made the chart so that I could
check stock, and also handle customer questions over the phone.

            MODEL       APP.    MOSS #  ID              LENGTH  DIAM    WIRE
BODY

MGB     RD -75          264-375 blue/yellow     9 7/8           3       3/4
0.52
        RD 75-          264-380 orange          10 1/8          3       3/4
0.52
        GT              264-390 red             9 1/4           3       3/4
0.52

        480 LB          264-385 none            9  1/16         3       3/4
0.54    RED
        550 LB          264-395 silver/green    8               3       3/4
0.54    RED
        660 LB          264-335 purple/yellow   7               3       3/4
0.54    RED