SU or SU not my baby

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU or SU not my baby
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:42:58 -0600
Alright, all you SU experts out there...

I'm rebuilding the carbs on my racing Midget.  It is a 1974 with the AUD
549 carbs.  I've been told to use a "rich" needle for racing (engine is
mostly stock, slightly hotter cam, according to Spec-Sprite specs).

The Victoria British catalog lists a "weak (lean)," "standard," and
"rich" needle for earlier carb models, but for the AUD 549 it lists only
two needles: the AAT and ABC.  Neither are designated as "std" or "rich"
or anything else.

The Moss catalog lists only the ABC, and calls it "spring-loaded."  I'm
not sure what the latter means since I haven't got the carbs apart yet.
The only carbs I've rebuilt in the past are my MGA carbs, which are from
a simpler time.

Questions:

1)  Can I use an earlier carb model's "rich" needle in the AUD 549, or
does the needle have to be "spring-loaded?"
2)  Do I even need to worry about changing out the needle because the
later ones worked better over all ranges (or some such)?
3)  What's the difference between the AAT and ABC?

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer