she lives again! (or: yes, SU's really are worth it)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: she lives again! (or: yes, SU's really are worth it)
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:45:51 -0800 (PST)
Well, the conversion away from the ZS is done.  Thanks everybody
(especially Steve and Bill) for the advice.

My flooding problem was a sunk float.  Parts arrived via ups today at
noon, the car was running up and down Pullman's hills by 1.  That felt
really good.  Aside from the 4 miles or so I got before the float
sank, this was the first time I got to drive in 3 weeks.  Not October,
but hard on me just the same!

I have written a webpage describe what I did to the car, but it is on
a university machine, and policy prevents me from using it for
personal use.  Clever people could 'accidentally' look at my email
headers and be clever about things...

Now that the car is at a driving state, I am curious...

I looked at Steve Shoyer's pictures of the HIF's on his car, which
shows a decent amount of space between his rear air filter and the
booster.  My car did not have this space (it does now, the vibration
of the engine when idling at ~300rpm bashed in the filter a wee bit).

Is there a difference between the booster between my 1975 B and his
'80 (I know the shape of the reserve tank is different, but I don't
know much more than that).

Finally, Peter Burgess comes down pretty hard on the later
distributor in "How to Power Tune...", especially in regards to the
advance curve.  I have seen similar comments here on the list.  Do
conversions to Electronic Ignition rectify the advance shortcomings
of the later distributers?  Is it even _that_ much of a problem?
This is now the nicest driving MG I have had the pleasure of playing
with.  Of course, with a total experience of 2 cars, the other being
a RBB with a Weber DGV, that isn't saying much.

--
Aaron Whiteman - aaronw@wsu.edu - email with subject 'PGPKey' for pgpkey
   RCW 19.190 notice: This address is located in Washington State.

'75 (my only car, and she still has no name)