Re: MGB Air cleaner fitment

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Air cleaner fitment
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:02:26 -0500 (EST)
Larry,
        I took the brute force method. I used the 2" circular K&N
filters. To get the rear one to fit, I took my trusty table saw and cut
one side of the rubber mounting off (still have all my fingers) and
replaced the relevant bolts to fit. My front filter is
2" thick; the rear, about 1 5/8" thick.  Works fine.
      When I discussed this solution with one of the people at British
Racing Green (DE) he cautioned that with a sudden pressure the cut
side of the filter might collapse due to the increase in vacuum which
would have been resisted by the rubber mount I cut off. Still...after a
year of street running, it hasn't failed me and the SU's feel so much
better than the ZS.

Bill
'76B

On Sun, 11
Feb
2001, Larry Hoy wrote:

> I'm asking this question for a friend.  He has a rubber bumper MGB.  Recently
>he changed the ZS carb for twin SUs.  His car is
> fitted with a power brake booster.  It seems that the clearance between the
>SUs and the brake booster is much to close for any
> traditional air cleaner system.
>
> What have any of you done to resolve this problem.
>
> If you have pictures, or web addresses that would be helpful too.
>
> Larry Hoy

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."