1977 & 1976 MGB- sway bars

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1977 & 1976 MGB- sway bars
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:00:47 -0500
Simon-

I believe that Porter, whoever he is, is referring to the fact that the
1977 MGB was the first rubber bumper car with a rear sway bar, The 1974
1/2 GT that I own came with a small front bar only. Don't know if the
'75 & '76's had front bars, but I know they did not have the rear one.

The effect of the rear bar on a 1977 is marginal. I owned a 1977 for
many years & finally removed it. The arms are so long & their mounting
points are large, soft rubber bushings, so I could not see how the bar
could be very responsive. My solution, beyond lowering the car, was to
install new front & rear bars from a kit sold/made by M & G
International. I have had this set up on 3 cars now & it absolutely
transforms the car's handling. Ron Hopkins also make a very highly rated
kit. The secret to success is to have front & rear bars matched. MGB's
generally handle better with a "soft" rear end to minimize wheel hop, &
a set of mismatched bars, or rear springs that are too stiff, can do
more harm than good.

Jim Stuart