back from the cold

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: back from the cold
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:11:51 -0800
Hi guys,

I've been off list for a while - i've been a little too busy to play
mechanic!

Anyhow now i'm kind of forced to, and i was hoping i could pick your brains:

I took the car ('79 mgb) in to have the brakes done, and asked the garage to
have a look at my misbehaving autochoke and tune the engine at the same time
(cos i was too busy to do it myself). Well it came back in a right state,
misfiring horribly and dieseling too. So i took it back and they swore
they'd get their resident MG expert to check it over, but it wasn't much
better when i picked it up. So i poked around this saturday and found and
corrected the following faults:

1. The timing had been advanced 20 degrees (!!!!) - I set it to approx 2
degrees advanced of TDC
2. The autochoke had been rotated about 45 degrees of the datum mark - the
choke is back on datum
3. The lower coolant tube from the autochoke was too long and kinked back on
itself - I cut the tube to size and hence removed the kink

Now the engine is running far better than it ever has. it's a little
hesitant when cold but not misfiring. I would advance it a few more degrees
BUT it is still dieseling or backfiring about 1 time in 2 when the engine is
turned off. i've taking to putting the car in fourth and stalling it rather
than turning off the ignition.

I've just invested in new HT leads and plugs, and one of them fancy
colourtune plugs so that i can adjust the mixture at the weekend

Any ideas at all? Other symptoms may include (or may just be my paronoia)
the car running a little hotter than usual (temp gauge at around 30%).

any advice very much appreciated.

cheers

Joe.

_________________