Shock help

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shock help
From: "Larry" <larry@larryembrey.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:21:23 -0800
Hello all.

Last summer I had a couple instances where I almost lost control of my B
during "chatterbump" type road conditions.  The car would just drift to the
left during these episodes, then as soon as I was off the rough surface all
was fine.  My gut instinct told me shocks, but I had no way of checking as the
car was being my emergency transportation while another vehicle was down.  I
also had a clunk up front so thought it might be a bad bushing.

Well, finally this weekend while tearing the front end down for an engine swap
I found the culprit.  the shock has what I will call a "dead" zone in it.  The
shock arm will move a good 1"+ without any resistance.  then it will get thick
like it should.  this tells me there is air in the system.

What do I do to get rid of this??  Drain the entire shock, then refill it?
are there any "tricks" or procedures you folks could recommend?  My haynes
manual tells me nothing..

Larry