Re: Shock help

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Shock help
From: "Larry" <larry@larryembrey.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:27:11 -0800
Thanks Pete and all the replied.  Yes the simple thing to do is replace the
shock, but I do not have $120+shipping in my budget at this time to just
toss at the situation.  (I am VERY tapped out with the V8 conversion on the
car.)  Plus I have the time and energy, so if I can spend a day emptying,
cleaning, refilling and mounting the shock to completely rule out the
possibility of air in it I want to go that route.

I guess I see it as your engine loses oil, so just replace the engine, and I
don't jive with that scenario, call me stubborn, but if you can find out why
it happens, you can possibly correct the situation.  However, I do
appreciate all of your folks input, I really do, I guess I am just a little
shocked that 95% of us never even think about working on thier own shocks or
even diagnoses what is wrong, they just replace them.  If it was a $20 item
sure why bother, but these are a $100+/ea item and have agreat deal of
affect on the car's performance, so why not understand how they function so
that we can better tune our cars handling?

The poppet valve does sound plausible, in terms of what I felt from the
shock, so I will get some of the shock oil from my local moss distrib and
give it a go, once I mount it back on the car I will easily be able to tell
if new fluid fixed the problem.  Can't you buy new poppet valve assemblies?
I know I have seen heavy duty versions in the catalogs..  Worst case it is
just bad and I use one of my backup shocks, if they are also bad I will have
to kill the V8 project and buy new ones.

Larry