from happy to dodo in 60 seconds

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: from happy to dodo in 60 seconds
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:40:33 -0800
Oh guys, today is not a good day. Driving back from getting breakfast and
the car (79 MGB) has died. symptoms:

misfire
serious loss of power, and loss of revs
grey-blue smokey exhaust
occassional strange noise - never heard it before and don't know how to
describe it, a little like metal spinning very very lightly on metal.

oil pressure is fine. water temp is fine.

we made it home under our own steam. just. very very slowly.

I replaced the air filter,  leads and plugs last weekend (all parts from
moss) and it has been running fine all week. Well, it's been a little hard
to start and misfiring for about the first minute of warming up, but once
warm it's been running beautifully.

Also last week checked that the Timing is on (10 degrees btdc), and the
mixture is correct when warmed up (i actually was planning to adjust it, but
didn't need to).

Any suggestions at all would be helpful. Towing the poor bugger to laurie's
is even an option right now, I hate to see my baby in such distress.

thanks

Joe

_________________

Dr. Joseph Garner