Re: from happy to dodo in 60 seconds

To: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>,
Subject: Re: from happy to dodo in 60 seconds
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:37:55 -0000
Revisit the work you did before it started playing up, particularly since it
seems to have become hard to start immediately afterwards.

Is the timing and mixture *still* correct?  Is dwell/contact gap correct?

Is the tach flickering or steady?  If steady then you can ignore any
intermittent connections in the ignition LT.

Clip a timing light on each plug lead and watch the flashing - is it
irregular in time with the misfire or steady (easier to spot if the missfire
is at lower revs than higher, of course)?  If steady you can ignore ignition
HT.

That would tend to leave fuel and mechanical problems inside the combustion
chamber.  Check the compression.  Light smoke could just be incomplete
combustion, heavy smoke could be mechanical problems inside the engine.

FWIW.

PaulH.