Re: Midget springs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget springs
From: Lieb David B <dbl@vniles.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:32:54 -0600
David Lieb
dbl@vniles.com
847.588.8016

>>> <JERTIGGER2@cs.com> 02/25/01 06:35PM >>>
Are the rear leaf springs for a Midget with a 1500 engine the same length and
width as for a Midget with a 1275 engine?

I found in the Haynes manual that the 1275 has 5 leafs and the 1500 has 6
leafs. My springs are bad and the car has a larger engine than was originally
fitted with and am considering using the larger spring.

Jerry Rein
73 Midget

Jerry, I just changed the springs on my 1974 1275 RWA Midget. There are 6
leaves on both original and replacement, although the sixth one is only about
four inches long. Yes, the 1500 springs will work. If you go to the Midget and
Sprite Technical page of the MGCars.org BBS  --
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5  there is a thread entitled "Rear
Suspension Rise" wherein the inimitable Claude Richards assures us that 1500
Springs will indeed fit the 1275 caused he did it. I would imagine that you
would want to email him and ask about other requisite bits like u-bolts and
shackles.