It B-GT a good weekend

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: It B-GT a good weekend
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:58:41 -0600
Morning Gang!
   I had a good weekend with the '70 B-GT:

+ Got the fuel problem sorted out.  Turned out
   to be a clogged fuel filter after all.  It didn't take
   too long to sort out.  All flows well now.
+ Masked and painted the engine compartment /
   grill area ahead of the radiator, reinstalled the
   wiring harness, repainted the grill matte black,
   installed a new 'MG' badge, cleaned and polished
   the Al trim strips and drooled over the beauty of
   it all -- just a bit.
+ Couldn't resist it so I put the car in gear and
   rolled it forward a couple of feet, then back
   again all under it's own power.  I know that this
   is silly but there is just a romance associated with
   moving the car under it's own power for the first
   time after a rebuild.  It was private and it was
   rewarding.  No one outside of the motorhead
   community would understand -- but you do. :-]
+ Discovered an interesting problem that I will
   describe here in the hope that you may have
   encountered a similar problem and can help
   shortcut the troubleshooting process:
      My front SU carburetor is not supplying fuel at
   the correct mixture.  I mean, it is WAY too lean.
   When I decouple the shafts and advance the
   rear carb, the engine accelerates normally --
   and quite responsively I might add.  Repeating
   the test at the front causes the rpm to drop and
   the engine to try to die -- it is supplying air but
   minimal fuel.  The jet is adjusted correctly and
   centralized, the needle is fresh and clean, and
   there are no leaks from the overflow.  However,
   when this carb was first put back into service, it
   leaked fuel from the port where the jet fuel line
   is connected.  It needed to be tightened.
      My first thought is that, although I had tightened
   the connection correctly when reassembling the
   carb, perhaps some of the rubber gasket or a
   bit of debris had clogged the junction or the pipe.
   My first plan is to disassemble this carb and look
   for the problem.  Oh yea, both float bowl floats
   are new but are the new, non-adjustable design.

Best regards,

Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research
5727 S. Lewis Ave., Tulsa, OK