Re: List challenge Part ID.

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>,
Subject: Re: List challenge Part ID.
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:46:44 -0500
> It's going to be tough figuring out what you have there.  The
> Microcam adjuster shown in the second picture does not make sense on any
> British backing plate.  The knockoff adapter looks like it is probably a
> Triumph bit.  Check the bolt pattern, if it is 4 X 4 1/2" then the adapter
> is TR3-6.

Nope, the knockoffs aren't TR... check out the fine threads on the end, for
the spinner (that is highly un-British).  The general shape of the splined
hub is also very not TR.

> My WAG is that you have a heavily modified race rear end, where the
> fabricator played silly bu**ers with whatever was lying around.  I'm
> guessing that the center section is a limited slip Jag unit.  Are the
brake
> drums alloy?  If so they may be Datsun Z, but I can't recall if the Z used
> microcams.  The only reason for this much work would seem to be a big
> engine that needed limited slip and better brakes.  Quite a b***tard.
>
> Kelvin.

Those alloy drums aren't Z car either (although I can understand your logic
since you thought the hubs could be TR, and thus a common swap is to use Z
car drums on TRs).  The depression in the center of the drum and shape of
the fins are not like the drums I've seen of Zs.

I will agree that it was definitely a competition rear... someone went to
extremes to drill those back plates out!  No heat build up there.

Kai