Engine Running Rough

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Running Rough
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:52:53 -0500
Hello list. I'm back to a problem I've been ignoring to work on other
things for the past month. I purchased a '72 BGT with a later 1979 18GV
engine. It was running very well at the time of purchase except for a
very loud aftermarket fuel pump (the little box type). After a short
jaunt to town and back, I was climbing the last hill in my driveway when
the engine began acutely running very rough. Plug #1 one seemed to be gas
fouled. This engine is fitted with aftermarket sidedraft Mikuni carbs and
has the 1975-1980 45DM distributor with electronic ignition (amplifier
box mounted on passenger fender well under coil).

Since the initial episode, I have:
1) Replaced the dizzy cap (it appeared to have a hairline crack near
where the #1 plug wire attached).
2) Replaced the plug wires.
3) Gapped and fitted new plugs.
4) Replaced a leaking fuel tank.
5) Replaced the fuel pump. (Special thanks to Barney Gaylord for his
advice and tech article on aftermarket low cost fuel pumps and their
fitting!)
6) Rebuilt rear brake cylinders.

Yesterday, I put petrol in the tank and cranked the engine. It still runs
just like it did before the work.
Any advice on where to go from here? I have a timing strobe, but I am a
neophyte in its use. Could the timing chain have slipped a link and
thrown the timing way off?
Everyone's input and advice is appreciated as always.
Bill Snyder
'66 MGB
'72 BGT
PS I was able to purchase the '72 BGT parts car with LH type OD tranny
for $200. I plan to eventually fit that tranny on this problem GT if I
can get her running well.