Re: SU Adjustments (LONG!) was: Float Height Issue

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU Adjustments (LONG!) was: Float Height Issue
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:18:53 -0400
Hey Max;

Sorry to bust in here, but I have to tell you this: I had the opportunity a
number of years ago to spend a day with noted tuner and engine builder,
Jerry Branch, who, amongst other things, rents out his dyno room to
motorcycle factory distributors to test after-market motor accessories.
This involves, for example, installing, tuning for max. performance, and
removing as many as a dozen or more exhaust systems for each model they want
to test. With most of these bike having 4 carbs. and all that entails, he
estimated that they spent 80% of their time installing, removing, and
changing jets and needles, and 20% on the dyno.
He came up with a neat device to cut down on the number of times they had to
go into the carbs to change jetting: he hooked up the float bowl drain tubes
to a small header that led into the control room where a vacuum/pressure
pump was controlled by a sensitive valve/switch through a VERY large meter.
Over time he was able to develop a scale that very accurately related small
elevation changes in  the float bowl fuel level to % change up or down in
jetting. This was so accurate that he could predict the jet change required
almost without fail and limit the required adjustment to a one time only
operation.

So, it appears that, in the case of some carbs. at least, float level does
affect mixture.

So from my experience Rick Lindsay is not too far off the point.

Dave Munroe