Re: Wiring basics - Oh No! Big point missed!

To: Douglas <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Wiring basics - Oh No! Big point missed!
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:33:06 -0800
  What I do on corroded wires is scrape them with the edge of a knife
blade to remove the corrosion.  Tinning is another matter.  Small wires
can be easily twisted together after tinning, larger guages become too
stiff after tinning to make a closely wrapped joint.  So on anything
larger than, say, 22 guage, I don't tin the newly cleaned wires before
joining.  OTOH, if I'm going to use solder-on connectors I tin all
guages.

  One more point about tinning, one must be careful not to overheat the
wires while tinning them because too much heat crystallizes the wire and
makes it brittle.

  My $.02,

  CR