Raceday Sunday

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Raceday Sunday
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:48:54 +0000
Guys... a quick summary before I head in to the office (it *is* Monday
morning here now).

Sunday was the first raceday of the new season - well, actually SPRINT
day, so I will give you times and not placings - and my first
competitive outing with my new engine and clutch.  The engine now had
260 miles on it, so it was well and truly run-in ;-)

So what was the outcome?

By the end of the day I was ALMOST comfortable with the car.  I had one
very fast corner lose, sideways up the track and finally off into the
dirt (spectacular for the spectators), but I also managed to slash FOUR
SECONDS of my previous best time.  Now when that takes you from 1:40.55
down to 1:36.65, this is HUGE.  Gone were the days of fighting to break
the mystical 1:40 barrier - and gone in one day.

The race officials have me in their sights as I am sure they will
question my continues 'standard/unmodified' Class status.  If my car was
a horse, it would have been swabbed!

I reckon I have a least a second more to cut as I get used to the 'new'
car... but at this stage I am looking at another $1,000 to go faster
because I am now simply going too fast for the 185/60 Yokohama A509s -
as much as I love them as fast, street tyres.  Bigger rims and 205
Portenza sticky rubber (still street registered) will keep me from a
state of constant four wheel drift!

Oh dear... WHEN does it stop!?

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.  It will take a while to
get the grin off my face.

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia