Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...

To: eric@erickson.on.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:15:42 EST
In a message dated 3/12/01 2:12:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
eric@erickson.on.net writes:

> Check out these photos of marshals (yes, I am the one with the headset
> on) after three long, hot days of the New Years Eve LeMans here in
> Adelaide.
>
> A pretty relaxed looking bunch (and, after the F1 incident, sometimes
> you wonder about just how close to the track/cars we stand and generally

- - - - - - - - - - -

I know I am probably replying to an old post, but last year I tried flagging
and communications for the first time at an SCCA race at Pocono.  It was
quite scary at first.  I was put at a corner with a coupla guys I had just
met.  I told them I was brand new (not even unwrapped yet!) and they should
show me what to do.

They gave me a yellow flag and said to stand with my back to the cars as they
came toward me.  I had to flag for any incidents that happened after my turn,
so it did no good to watch the cars coming at me.  Another guy stood in front
of me, and he watched the cars coming at us.  I realized that my life was in
his hands, and if he started to jump to his left, I had better jump to my
right at the same time!

Luckily, we had no dangerous incidents for us, but it was quite an adrenaline
rush when the cars were running.

I also tried handling a blue flag, but we better not talk about that
experience!  You gotta respect the marshals at races.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport