Re: Air pump

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Air pump
From: Brian Warmuth <warmuthb@vms.wlsc.wvnet.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:54:01 -0500
Not sure about the later Bs. I know my midget and 72 B had an air
injection rail which fed the air into the cyl. head on the same side as
the spark plugs, just above and to the side.  The air was injected into
the exahaust valve port to increase combustion o2, thereby reducing
unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream.   Anybody who removed this
air injection system, had to plug the resultant holes. Some simply had
the metal injection tubes cut-off and pinched shut and or brazed shut.

Brian

Dan DiBiase wrote:

> This is interesting. My '76 has had all of the emissions controls removed
> with the exception of the catalytic converter. When I took the car to my
> local MG shop for some work and an inspection he always put an air pump on
> the car for it to pass. But if my car has no emission equipment but the
> catcon, I wonder where this pump was pumping air to? Unless he rigged a
> line from the pump to the exhaust manifold... Is that where the pump pumps
> the air? I guess it's a moot point since I am inspected until May of 2002
> and after that, I will have historic plates on the car, meaning no more
> inspections....
>
> =====
> Dan DiBiase
> Dayton, NJ