OD Tranny (LH Type)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD Tranny (LH Type)
From: "William T Snyder, II" <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:07:26 -0500
Hello list. Today, I pulled the early LH type tranny from a parts car I
recently purchased (a '72 BGT) in preparation for trading out the
4-synchro non-OD tranny in my project car. It is also a '72 BGT but has
been fitted with a later 18V engine and later side fill 4-synchro tranny.
I have a few questions.

1. On the left side of the tranny just anterior to the reverse lamp
switch is a plastic tube which sticks out about 3/4" and has 2 3/16"
holes opposite each other on the sides of the 1/2" tube near its exposed
terminus. What is it? Transmission oil comes out of it when the tranny is
tilted too far.

2. On the right side of the tranny opposite the reverse lamp switch is a
threaded hole about 5/16" in diameter. Any ideas what it might be or if
anything should be threaded into it?

3. The yellow wire aparrently running to the solenoid switch led to
nothing on the donor car. Where does the yellow wire from the wiring
harness usually exit the body to run to the tranny?

4. A blue wire was found heading down toward the tranny from the shifter
hole in the tranny tunnel. Any ideas what it is or where it would attach
to the tranny?

5. The were no wires attached to the reverse lamp switch. Where would
they normally exit the body and what color should I be looking for?

6. Finally, does anyone know of any potential problems with mating this
ealier LH OD to a later 18V engine? And am I correct in assuming that
while the engine is out of the car, inspection and possible replacement
of the clutch would be advisable?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Bill Snyder
72 BGT project