Re: Why I drive an MG (was Why Kai Bought a Triumph)

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why I drive an MG (was Why Kai Bought a Triumph)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:00:38 -0600
At 10:41 AM 3/21/2001 -0500, Kai M. Radicke wrote:
>>.... One of the primary reasons that so many of us own MGs is precisely
because they are affordable. .... I believe it is cheaper by the mile than
anything else I have ever owned. ....
>> Barney Gaylord, so tight I squeak when I walk
>
>.... however they seem to be able to forget that they also must be able to
then *afford* the associated costs of owning a classic MG (or any LBC).

I don't think it's that easy to forget.  If you get in the habit of
skimping on maintainance or using sub-standard parts the car is sure to
remind you forthwith, and most likely in a rather unforgetable manner.  In
that case I believe they would be quick to learn, or otherwise quick to
sell the car.  In either case they will not be one of your "bad" customers
for very long.

>.... In regards to the rude parts suppliers, .... Now think about WHY they
may be rude on the phone?  How about years of dealing with 200 people a day
who are rude, discourteous, clueless, timewasters, etc., etc., etc.
Perhaps he didn't like your tone of voice when you called?

You seem to be veheminetly defending the rude suppliers.  You know what?  I
don't give a damn why they're rude to me on the phone when I'm being nice
to them.  It doesn't matter if the last customer before me has pissed them
off, or if they are otherwise having a bad day.  If they want to piss me
off I will not be calling back, except possibly to cancel the order.  The
only reason I can think of that any supplier is ever rude to any customer
on the phone is because they don't want that customer's business, in which
case I'm more than happy to oblige, and also relay the warning to my friends.

Along about this point in your dialog I am fairly well convinced that you
are (or have been) one of those suppliers who does make a habit of being
rude to customers.  Yes I did see your post on the autojumble list, and my
first impression was that I don't care to ever look at one of your ads on
eBay.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg