Why I drive an MG (was Why Kai Bought a Triumph)

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Why I drive an MG (was Why Kai Bought a Triumph)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:19:30 -0600
At 10:49 PM 3/20/2001 -0500, Kai M. Radicke wrote:
>Secondly, yes most MGB/Midget owners ARE cheap. .... If you want to be a
tightwad go buy a Hyundai with a 10 year warranty, or ....

Well I drive an MGA, but I suppose the only reason it's not an MGB is
because I had the MGA first and have never felt the need to have more than
one LBC.  Otherwise I don't really see the distinction.  As for the rest,
maybe I'm just not "normal" (or maybe I am).

>In the quest for the cheapest part, .... Shopping around is fine, but do
not waste people's time... if you have no intention of buying ....

I can only recall one time in the last 15 years or so that I asked for a
price from a regular supplier and didn't buy the part.  That was a limited
slip differential that I ultimately didn't buy from anyone, I guess because
I'm CHEAP, or otherwise didn't quite see the value.  Most of the time I
just order the parts and pay the bill, because most of the time I know by
experience who has good prices and who has good service, and I generally
avoid the rest.  I especailly avoid the smart-alecky ones with a bad
attitude toward the customer, price be hanged.

>.... from the B's I have driven, I didn't like them much... ....

Surely a matter of personal taste I presume.  FWIW, I have driven my MG
more miles every year for at least the past 12 years than all other cars
combined.  I bought a Mazda RX7 new in 1987 (my second RX7 because I like
it), and I still have it, and it is also in good condition, but it has not
been out of my driveway since late October.  This has nothing to do with
salt on the roads, just that I like driving my MG.  The RX7 has effectively
become "the backup car".

>.... But there are still those owners of early cars that want a used
aluminium hood in good condition, with good tartan red paint and expect it
to match their car... oh and for $100 too!

FWIW, I have purchased a good aluminum hood for my MGA for $100 (not the
right color, but I can paint).  When there are a few available for the
right price with a little diligent searching, I don't see any point in over
paying.  When the cheap ones are gone the market will bear a higher price.
The point being that you should not complain if someone buys the part
elesewhere for less money.  You might just be asking more money than your
part is worth.  By the way, I currently have a good aluminum hood for an
MGA available, and I would be happy to sell it for $100.

>I have been writing a whole series of essays on this topic, and will
continue to write them, and post them one day... but for now you'll have to
deal with this *short* reply.

I'm almost tempted to write the counterpoint articles in defense of the MG
community, but I think I would either be preaching to the choir, or the
words would otherwise be falling on deaf ears.

>.... Those of you  with thick heads, well .... you won't get this entire
message anyway, ....

I think Kai may be missing the point entirely.  One of the primary reasons
that so many of us own MGs is precisely because they are affordable.  I
spend more money on my MG than all other cars combined (with the possible
exception of my late model Chevy), but that's because I drive the MG more.
In pure economics the MG is a very inexpensive car to drive for lots of
miles, primarily because it is a simple machine and easy to maintain.  I
believe it is cheaper by the mile than anything else I have ever owned.
That of course does not detract from the fact that it's a lot of fuin to
drive.  Works for me.

Barney Gaylord, so tight I squeak when I walk
1958 MGA with an attitude, and lots of fun for little money
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list