Re: 70 MGBGT - Fuel Pump

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 MGBGT - Fuel Pump
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 05:57:43 +0609
Gary Davis wrote:

> I believe I hear my fuel pump "clicking" while sitting at stoplights >

Hmmm, maybe it means that you have stalled the engine (the way my car
sounds now, with its new engine and muffler, it would be hard to hear a
jackhammer running in the boot).

One of my first posts to this list (all those months ago) was my
complaining about the damn woodpecker out the back while I was driving
(not just idling at lights). Itried adding extra 'damping' between the
pump and the bodywork to stop some of the resonance, but eventually I
replaced the Facet fuel pump with an SU and proclaimed the woodpecker
'dead'.

Maybe your pump or its mounting has moved and is making more solid
contact with your vehicle bodywork.  Try reaching under and moving the
pump to see if the 'clicking' sounds louder or less.

(Yes, I could have offered that stray thought in a one sentence reply
but hey, I just woke up and it is before 06:00hrs - this is the way my
brain works at this hour).

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia