Piston Speed

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Piston Speed
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:22:33 -0600
Rick:

Do you really want to get into:

<<<snip>>>
May I suggest a few other areas -- and these are
all certainly LBC related:

+ piston velocity, average and peak
<<<snip>>>

I found two formulas for finding piston velocity both when the
piston and crankshaft lie in the same plane.  If they are not,
then there are different formulas

The first formula is too difficult to render in typed notation.
The second is a simplified but approximate formaula.

piston velocity= v(sin a + r sin 2a/2l

Where v is crankpin velocity, a is the crank angle, r is crank
radius (1/2 the stroke) , and l is the length of the connecting
rod (center to center).

v, the crankpin velocity, is dependent on the engine rpm and the
crankpin throw.

The mean piston speed at N r.p.m.,

V (ft./sec.)=(2S/12)(N/60) wher S=the stroke in inches.

I found the following mean piston speeds:

MGC: 3060 ft/min at max power (5250 rpm) (1967 Autocar test)
MGB: 3150 ft/min at max power (5400 rpm) (1962 Autocar test)

Blake

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list