Re: Cam Removal and cam timing question

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Re: Cam Removal and cam timing question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:02:37 -0600
At 07:54 PM 3/21/2001 -0700, Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:
>Sorry to pester you Barney, but you didn't answer this part:
>
>So you pull it till it gets stuck, twist till it goes by and pull again?

Well I would hope you wouldn't pull so hard as to damage a cam lobe or the
oil pump drive gear, but in general you have the right idea.  Once you pull
the cam forward slightly it will drop out of the journal bearings in the
block.  At that point you want to be supporting it anyway so it doesn't
bash either the cam lobes or the soft bearings.  Once free of the journal
bearings it can move away from the oil pump gear, so you may be able to
pull it out then without rotating it at all.  When it's about half way out
the #2 bearing journal will have to pass through the #1 bearing, and so
forth, but by that time the rear journal is already past the oil pump drive
gear.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg